Re: consumer grade circuits vs pro grade circuits

Subject: Re: consumer grade circuits vs pro grade circuits
From: Al Dykes
Date: 30 Sep 2005 09:04:40 -0400
Newsgroups: linux.debian.isp
In article <[email protected]>,
Bill Flanagan  <[email protected]> wrote:
>I too am in Verizon territory.  For $5 to $20  per month (depending on speed,
>which depends mostly on distance from the CO) more than a residential DSL
>service, you can buy a "business tariff" DSL.  I had the business DSL on a
>residential phone line.  Business DSL offers 24-hour tech support.
>For about 10 years, all T-1 services have been provisioned using a form of DSL
>(Symmetrical DSL).  The only difference is the price and the response
>definitely gets the truck to roll sooner.
>Of course, if you can, go for FIOS, fiber to the premises.  Best deal:  get a
>DSL line, then convert to FIOS--saves you $10/month for the first year  :-)
>FIOS is at least as fast as an E-1 (2 Mbit/s each way;  actually 5 M/s down, 2
>up, minimum).  No dependency on distance--if the fiber reaches you, the speed
>there (up to 15 M/s down, for more money).

I've got users on business-grade DSL and the couple times I've had to
call verizon the support has been very good, even the time it became
obvious that the problem was on our side.

OTOH, if your bandwidth is on the OK side of the service agreement
they won't do anything for you.

If you order a DSL line from a business location you're going to get a
different set of prices and options, compared to  residential service.

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.