linux.debian.devel.mentors

Re: Passing variables to a Makefile

Subject: Re: Passing variables to a Makefile
From: Patrick Matthäi
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 07:54:00 +0200
Newsgroups: linux.debian.devel.mentors
Charles Plessy schrieb:
Dear mentors,

in a package I prepare, there is the following line in a source/Makefile:

  CPPFLAGS=-O3 -funroll-loops -march=i686 -mfpmath=sse -msse  -mmmx

This is obviously not convenient for building on many platforms, so I
decided to override it with the following command in debian/rules:

  CPPFLAGS='$(CFLAGS)' $(MAKE) --environment-overrides --directory=source

However, I am quite unexperienced with makefiles, and my gut feeling
tells me that I may be doing something wrong... Can somebody tell me ?

( Just in case one wants to see more context, I have uploaded the package
on mentors:
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/d/dialign-t/dialign-t_0.2.2-1.dsc
It is work in progress unsuitable for anyghing else! )

Have a nice day,

Hi Charles,

better use a patch system like dpatch for it. Don't modify the source, write a patch for it!