lemonade@ietf.org

Re: [lemonade] VFOLDER and mutable fields/WITHIN

Subject: Re: [lemonade] VFOLDER and mutable fields/WITHIN
From: Arnt Gulbrandsen
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 14:34:17 +0100
Dan Karp writes:
I've been reading the most recent VFOLDER draft, and it looks pretty good. By making the VFOLDER explicitly a view onto another folder, the message UIDs line up and so a VFOLDER-capable client can correlate (and hence not re-download) messages in the VFOLDER with messages in the backing folder.

The experience I have with this is that people hate it when the client redownloads, and they also dislike reading both the vfolder and the backing mailbox. If you try to solve the first problem on its own, you're optimising for a case people don't want. You're optimising for minimal traffic from server to client and disregarding the traffic from screen to eye.

What people mostly want is to see the rest of the messages from the backing folder, ie. all those which aren't in a specific vfolder. My suggested solution to that is a new search key, INVFOLDER. (I made a concrete suggestion for that about five months ago, not sure if I cc'd the list.)

Would it make sense to change the draft such that the contents of a VFOLDER are set at SELECT time?

And add a sentence like this in draft-*-vfolder: "Clients SHOULD send an UNSELECT/SELECT pair every two minutes if they want to be informed of updates"?

That way the server isn't responsible for aging messages in/out due to WITHIN criteria and it doesn't have to keep adding and removing (and renumbering) messages if the VFOLDER criteria reference mutable message attributes.

No, but it gets to do the same work in the guise of SELECT, UNSELECT, SELECT, UNSELECT, SELECT, UNSELECT (repeat ad infinitum).

Arnt