ldapext@ietf.org

Re: [ldapext] [Fwd: Re: [OpenDS-users] LDAP Password Modify Extended Ope

Subject: Re: [ldapext] [Fwd: Re: [OpenDS-users] LDAP Password Modify Extended Operation]
From: Kurt Zeilenga
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 21:30:25 -0700

On Jul 13, 2008, at 8:43 PM, Howard Chu wrote:

Looks like we need some clarification of RFC3062...

The userIdentity string is either an RFC 4514 LDAP string representation of a DN, or some other string representation of a DN (LDAP generally allows alternative string representations), or some string representation of some other authentication identity form (such as a SASLprep user name used in PLAIN, CRAM-MD5, DIGEST-MD5).

The intent is for the field to carry the same user identity (authcid) string that the user would normally use for password authentication. For instance, "kurt@xxxxxxxxxxx" or "uid=kurt,dc=example,dc=com".

Note that authzid is for representing authorization identities, not authentication identities. Hence, it was not my intent that the user provide an authzid. However, it would be reasonable for implementations to accept these IN ADDITION to user's authentication identity strings.

-- Kurt