laptop-discuss@opensolaris.org

Re: [laptop-discuss] no battery mgmt since upgrade to os2008.11 b93

Subject: Re: [laptop-discuss] no battery mgmt since upgrade to os2008.11 b93
From: "Dr. David Kirkby"
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 02:15:25 PDT
I hit this issue too. It also caused a panic during install on my Sony Vaio
VGN-SZ4XWN/C laptop.

I disabled the acpi driver as sugged by Phi and it allowed build 94 to install
(build 93 was ok for me).

I then applied this fix:

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/laptop/windmill/acpi/6723556.tar.gz

but there the battery status is not being updated. I posted some more info
under the subject "build 94 panics when installing - build 93 works fine.", but
basically

# lshal -m

does not change stat if the mains power is put on or off, or if the battery is
removed. It only generates output if the battery is put in. I only briefly
played with this last night so I am not sure if the charge indicator goes down
as the battery gets depleted. But there does seem a problem in that the driver
is not detecting

1) Battery being removed
2) Mains switched on
3) Mains switched off.

All it seems to detect is the battery being plugged in.

Dave