language-bindings@gnome.org

Re: Introspection API

Subject: Re: Introspection API
From: Dave Benson
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 08:48:16 -0800
On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 11:08:16AM -0500, John Ehresman wrote:
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
> >Is using libffi or something similar a problem ?
>
> I think we want to set things up so libffi could be easily used.  In
> other words, the information that libffi needs should be easily
> obtainable from the introspection api.  I'd also like not to have to
> wrap everything in GValue's if that can be avoided.  That said, we need
> to figure out how to package libffi for non-gcc compilers such as MS VC++.

a small c program to generate GValue marshallers from the metadata
seems pretty straightforward.  such marshallers should probably
be compiled at the same time as the metadata... i think.

if some language-binding doesn't
like GValue, they could always hack that prorgam to get
marshallers in a form they like.

- dave