Re: Design principles and ethics (was Re: Execute without read (was [...

Subject: Re: Design principles and ethics was Re: Execute without read (was [...])
From: Pierre THIERRY
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 12:45:42 +0200
Scribit Bas Wijnen dies 29/04/2006 hora 11:21:
> What I mean by "doing something wrong", is to do something morally
> objectionable, such as breaking the law (assuming that you don't
> consider that particular law itself immoral).

Wrong is not morally reprehensible, which in turn is not morally

I should not actively help to make something I personnally consider
morally objectionable, but I should know that it is my personal
judgement and not something absolute.

This is very different from, for example, something that would be
illegal. Which I agree we should prevent the user to be able to do it,
if it won't prevent legal uses.

> > Design principles are not inflexible laws, merely strong guidelines.
> They are inflexible laws.

That should be made clear (and quite a few among us could confirm that
it is the way they see design principles). And then design principles
should be written.

We cannot have implicit inflexible laws.

Nowhere man
OpenPGP 0xD9D50D8A
L4-hurd mailing list