l4-hurd@gnu.org

Re: Design principles and ethics (was Re: Execute without read (was [...

Subject: Re: Design principles and ethics was Re: Execute without read (was [...])
From: Pierre THIERRY
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 12:45:42 +0200
Scribit Bas Wijnen dies 29/04/2006 hora 11:21:
> What I mean by "doing something wrong", is to do something morally
> objectionable, such as breaking the law (assuming that you don't
> consider that particular law itself immoral).

Wrong is not morally reprehensible, which in turn is not morally
objectionable.

I should not actively help to make something I personnally consider
morally objectionable, but I should know that it is my personal
judgement and not something absolute.

This is very different from, for example, something that would be
illegal. Which I agree we should prevent the user to be able to do it,
if it won't prevent legal uses.

> > Design principles are not inflexible laws, merely strong guidelines.
> They are inflexible laws.

That should be made clear (and quite a few among us could confirm that
it is the way they see design principles). And then design principles
should be written.

We cannot have implicit inflexible laws.

Juridically,
Nowhere man
--
nowhere.man@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx