k12osn@redhat.com

Re: [K12OSN] OT: Google Apps

Subject: Re: [K12OSN] OT: Google Apps
From: "Will Hatch"
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 11:35:31 -0500
Since google docs is not encrypted, isn't if a violation of FERPA?  I'd like to
use it, but our tech director tells me that it is not secure, and since student
names/information could be part of the documents, that it can't be used.  I
would like to hear Google's feelings on this, since they seem to be interested
in education.

2008/12/4 Travis Smith <tsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> We allow students to use google docs and some do take advantage of it. I
> even put a link up on our webpage. One issue we found was with the power
> point piece and it seems like the issues were related to trying to get the
> The
> topic has been brought up a few times at our county meetings and some of the
> concerns were property rights because google now has ownership and worried
> that google will use this publicly or in a negative way somehow.

Google doesn't own your content when you use Google Documents:
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/google_adapts_and_modifies_content.php

I agree Dan I have no problems with Google Docs. That was an issue that was
brought up by a few technology coordinators in my county per discussion about
the topic in a meeting and part of their reasoning for blocking the service at
their school.

Scanned by GenNET AV out

***********************************
PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL: This communication, including attachments, is for
the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential or
privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If
you're not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by
return email and delete this communication and destroy all copies.
It is the policy of ANWSU not to discriminate on the basis or race, color,
religion, national origin, gender, disability, or gender orientation in its
educational programs or activities, or in its employment policies as required
by Title IX of the 1972 Educational Amendments, by Section 504 of the
Rehabilitation Act of 1973, by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and by
Vermont State Law.