k12osn@redhat.com

Re: [K12OSN] Virtualized Windows on K12LTSP

Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Virtualized Windows on K12LTSP
From: Peter Scheie
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 09:54:53 -0500
I have one site, a small office, running K12LTSP-EL5, where they have one Windows app they can't live without. I installed VMWare Server and an XP Pro VM and then installed the app in that. The users then run the VMWare console to get to the app. I had tried, briefly, installing the app under Wine, but something, I can't recall what, didn't work quite right; I didn't spend too much time on tying to make it work. Under VMWare, it's been fine, although I don't think they ever have more than one person at a time accessing the app. But it does work just fine via thin client. I'm not wild about VMWare not being in the 'free as in speech' category; but at the time, Virtual Box's networking was too much of a pain to deal with; and I just didn't even think about Qemu at the time (this was a while back). If I were to do it today, I think I might try the qemu route just because it seems less complex (but that's just speculation).

Peter

Nils Breunese wrote:
Hello all,

I have a pretty beefy K12LTSP 5EL 64-bit server setup with about 10 thin clients attached. This is working fine, but there is one legacy Windows application my users need. I kept a couple of Windows XP installations around which they can use for this application, but I'd like to get rid of those machines. There have been some attempts at getting the application to work under Wine, but no luck so far.

I'm thinking of setting up a virtual Windows XP machine on the K12LTSP server. The server is a Dell PowerEdge 2900 with a quad-core Intel Xeon E5320 1.86 GHz (which supports Intel's VT virtualization extension) and 4 GB RAM. What virtualization method would people recommend for doing this? KVM, QEMU (+kqemu/qvm86), VirtualBox, VMware Server, Xen? I think Xen is the only method that's available from the K12LTSP/CentOS repositories, right? Plus it's open source. I have used VMware Server on a desktop machine in the past for testing.

Is anybody else running a virtual Windows installation on K12LTSP? How did you go about this?

Thanks,

Nils Breunese.