java@lists.mysql.com

useUnicode and characterEncoding=UTF-8 break on MySQL 4.1.7?

Subject: useUnicode and characterEncoding=UTF-8 break on MySQL 4.1.7?
From: "Kevin A. Burton"
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 19:17:47 -0800
OK... as I mentioned in an earlier post when I tried to upgrade to mySQL 4.1.7 I got:

I'm trying to upgrade to MySQL 4.1.7 with ConnectorJ 3.0.12 and I'm getting this error:

"Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation '='"

It turns out our JDBC connection string was:

   jdbc:mysql://db2.sofari.com/ksa?\
   useUnicode=true&\
   characterEncoding=UTF-8

However if I just REMOVE those it works fine.

jdbc:mysql://db2.sofari.com/ksa

So the issue is how do I use latin1 tables but tell the JDBC driver running with MySQL 4.1.7 to do internal encoding of UTF-8?!

Granted in a perfect world I might want to have the DB do this for us but this would require a HUGE set of ALTER TABLEs and I also want to be able to run MySQL 4.0 boxes until we're 100% comfortable with 4.1.7.

Thoughts?

Kevin

--

Use Rojo (RSS/Atom aggregator). Visit http://rojo.com. Ask me for an invite! Also see irc.freenode.net #rojo if you want to chat.

If you're interested in RSS, Weblogs, Social Networking, etc... then you should work for Rojo! If you recommend someone and we hire them you'll get a free iPod! Kevin A. Burton, Location - San Francisco, CA