java@gcc.gnu.org

Re: trying to run Tomcat

Subject: Re: trying to run Tomcat
From: Per Bothner
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 07:05:37 -0800
Anthony Green wrote:
On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 10:14 -0800, Per Bothner wrote:
Shouldn't the Tomcats use gcj regardless of what alternatives
have been configures - at least as long as it depends on a
specific alternative?

It's not supposed to depend on any specific alternative - although the
current alternative needs to provide the required bits.  AFAIK all 1.4.2
alternatives do.  What alternative did you have selected?

It was a JDK 1.5.x.

I'm a bit surprised. If the tomcat package (say) installed pre-compiled classes it would seem like it assumes a specific version of java - and perhaps a specific version of gcj.

I'm uncertain as to the philosophy of "alternatives". I can see that it is useful to have a way to specify which application is bound to a generic command name clear that it should control which JVM an application uses? That seems a little scary.
--
        --Per Bothner