java-user@lucene.apache.org

Re: Creation of index for the first time

Subject: Re: Creation of index for the first time
From: Michael McCandless
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 12:13:34 -0500

Noble Paul ààààààâ àààààà wrote:

is it reasonable to assume that the generation of a commit point is
always '1' when an empty index is opened?

It depends what "empty index" means.

EG I can make a new index, add docs, do lots of commits, etc., then
open a new IndexWriter with create=true on that same Directory.  At
that point I have an "empty index" (no docs), but its generation is > 1.

Or if by empty index you mean zero files in the Directory, then when
I make an IndexWriter w/ create=true and immediately close it, then
generation will always be 1.

Mike