java-user@lucene.apache.org

Re: Performance of never optimizing

Subject: Re: Performance of never optimizing
From: Mark Miller
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 17:47:09 -0500
Been a while since I've been in the benchmark stuff, so I am going to take some time to look at this when I get a chance, but off the cuff I think you are open and closing the reader for each search. Try using the openreader task before the 100 searches and then the closereader task. That will ensure you are reusing the same reader for each search. Hope to analyze further soon.

- Mark

Justus Pendleton wrote:
On 03/11/2008, at 11:07 PM, Mark Miller wrote:

Am I missing your benchmark algorithm somewhere? We need it. Something doesn't make sense.

I thought I had included in at[1] before but apparently not, my apologies for that. I have updated that wiki page. I'll also reproduce it here:

{ "Rounds"

    ResetSystemErase
    { CreateIndex >
    { AddDoc > : NUM_DOCS
    { CloseIndex >

    [ "UnoptSearch" Search > : 100
    { "Optimize" OpenIndex Optimize CloseIndex }
    [ "OptSearch" Search > : 100

    NewRound

} : 6

NUM_DOCS increases by 5,000 for each iteration.

What constitutes a "proper warm up before measuring"?

[1]: http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRACOM/Lucene+graphs

Cheers,
Justus