java-user@lucene.apache.org

Re: Is Lucene relevant for big amount of small dynamic data?

Subject: Re: Is Lucene relevant for big amount of small dynamic data?
From: Kurt Haegeman
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 12:43:52 +0200
emilien beucler wrote:
Hello,

I need to implement a search tool, and I would like to know if Lucene could be used for my particular problem. Let's take an example:

A hotel company has several hundreds of hotels around the world. for each hotel there are hundreds of rooms, whose price are constantly changing. The idea is to create a multi-criteria search tool to find a room. The pieces of information to store are all the same, they are something like: (room_size, number_of_stars, city, date_of_arrival, number_of_beds, price...) Let's says there are around 15 caracteristics, and about 5 millions pieces of information. The goal is to obtain a tool that:

None of the criteria you mention justifies the use of a full-text search solution. If I were you (but I'm not), I'd stick to a relational database for this project. Even if there's a small field or two with searchable text data, the database itself could cope with this (Oracle Text, MySQL full-text search etc...).

My 2 cents,
Kurt.