java-user@lucene.apache.org

Re: How to implement AJAX search~Lucene Search part?

Subject: Re: How to implement AJAX search~Lucene Search part?
From: Mathieu Lecarme
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 11:58:37 +0200
have a look of opensearch.org specification, your self-completion will work with IE7 and Firefox 2.
JSON serialization is quicker than XML stuff.
Be careful to limit the number of responses.
A search in "test*" works very well in my project with ten thousands of documents. Begin completion only when you have 3 letters or more, less gives you too many words.

M.

Le 8 juin 07 à 03:31, Chris Lu a écrit :

Hi,

I would like to implement an AJAX search. Basically when user types in
several characters,  I will try to search the Lucene index and found
all possible matching items.

Seems I need to use wildcard query like "test*" to matching anything.
Is this the only way to do it? It doesn't seems quite efficient,
especially when you just typed in the first character.

I guess the "good" way is to go through the terms, and return as soon
as, for example, 10 terms are found.

I am wondering is there anything like this already built?

--
Chris Lu