java-user@lucene.apache.org

Re: Indexing large index with Lucene

Subject: Re: Indexing large index with Lucene
From: "Erick Erickson"
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 12:19:05 -0400
Two things come to mind...

First, you can freely write to an index while searching it, the search is
always available. I'm pretty sure this includes deleting/readding documents.
However, you won't be able to search on the changes in your index until you
close/reopen the *searcher*.

Second, depending on how quickly you need updates, you could always make a
*copy* of your index, update that and then move it back to where your
searcher looks for it, sort of a batch process really. It all depends upon
how quickly you require seeing the changes.

Hope this helps
Erick

On 9/28/06, Eric Louvard <eric.louvard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm using Lucene since several year. We had to index allways more
documents.

I'm now trying to optimise the index process with more than 1.000.000
documents and I can see that the performance will decrease when the
index size is greater.
I would like to know if someone as allready studied this case.

It's interactively maintained index and the fisrt index process is my
biggest Problem.

- A document contains several attributs.
- I can't block the index during the index process (the search must
allways be availlable).
- I need to delete the older version of document if I become an newer.

Thank you to tell me about you personnal experience.

Éric Louvard.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

i. A. Éric Louvard