java-user@lucene.apache.org

Re: Segments creation

Subject: Re: Segments creation
From: Erik Hatcher
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 18:26:06 -0400
If you use the compound format, all "files" are kept inside a single filesystem file.

        Erik

On Apr 23, 2006, at 2:13 PM, John Paige wrote:

So, if I use one indexwriter instance to index one document, will it create
a segment per document?
How many files per segment get added if I use compound index file format?

Thanks,
John

On 4/23/06, Erik Hatcher <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If you use the compound index file format (the default since Lucene
1.4) you'll avoid the file descriptors issue.  If you add 10
documents at one time with a single IndexWriter, you will not create
10 segments, only one segment (generally speaking, based on the
default segment factors).

        Erik

On Apr 23, 2006, at 9:48 AM, John Paige wrote:

Hello all,
   In my application it is required to build an index for each
user. We need
to add documents to the existing index frequently.
We cannot use RAMDirectory to create a RAM index and merge it with the
FSDirectory index later on based on the mergefactor. We need to add
each
document in the FSDirectory based index.
We are afraid of getting into the "out of file descriptors" issue ,
so my
question is, does lucene create a segment for each document that
gets added
to the FS based index i.e. will adding 10 documents to the existing
create 10 segments?

Thanks,
John