java-dev@lucene.apache.org

Re: NewIndexModifier - - - DeletingIndexWriter

Subject: Re: NewIndexModifier - - - DeletingIndexWriter
From: "Yonik Seeley"
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 15:49:55 -0500
On 2/9/07, Doug Cutting <cutting@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Michael McCandless wrote:
> I agree extensions points are nice.  Maybe we could leave the
> extension points ("doAfterFlushRamSegments", etc.) but merge
> NewIndexModifier into IndexWriter?
>
> Though I do worry that by adding these extension points we tie our
> hands for later.

I think this is a valid concern.  Can the extension points be kept
package-private?  It makes them awkward to use, since non-core code must
add things in org.apache.lucene.index.

As long as you wouldn't object to a org.apache.lucene package in Solr...
With the understanding of course, that the onus would be on Solr developers
to keep up with any changes.

-Yonik