Re: Highlighter using spans

Subject: Re: Highlighter using spans
From: Jason Calabrese
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 13:34:38 -0800
Adding Span and Phrase support tot the highlighter is something that we've
been needing in my project for a while.

Would adding support for spans also add support for phrases?

We would also like this to be used when generating fragments so we can create
high quality snippets for search results when our users enter queries with
quotes.

If someone was willing to add these features I'm sure we could help fund the
development.  If anyone is interested in this please contact me off list.

--Jason

On Sunday 13 November 2005 10:49 am, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> On 13 Nov 2005, at 05:38, markharw00d wrote:
> > I posted what I thought would be the best approach to fixing this
> > here along with pointers to some existing code:
> >    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=lucene-user&m=112496111224218&w=2
>
> SpansExtractor, unfortunately, doesn't take the field to be
> highlighted into account.  Given a some text to highlight, it would
> seem generally desirable to only highlight a specific fields worth of
> spans.
>
> For my immediate needs, I only have to highlight the full text with
> no fragmenting and it must be field aware.  I was able to achieve
> this with just a bit of custom code that doesn't really apply
> generically.  It would be good, though, to have a general framework
> for converting a Query to a SpanQuery and also to extract field-
> specific Spans - though at this point my consulting code isn't
> general purpose enough yet.  Perhaps at some point in the future I
> can distill some of it into the Highlighter codebase though.
>
>      Erik

For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]