Re: Lock Dir Location

Subject: Re: Lock Dir Location
From: Doug Cutting
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 20:32:11 -0800
Marvin Humphrey wrote:
As I work on the ports for FSDirectory and FSLock, I'm wondering why the file system directory itself shouldn't be used to hold the lockfiles. If there's a write permissions problem, such as an FSDirectory on CDrom, disableLocks takes care of it. Is there some scenario having to do with mirroring that I haven't quite envisioned yet, or something else?
On a multi-user system this permits the owner & maintainer of an index
to give read-only access to other users. Thus, for example, an
operating system might maintain an index of installed manual pages that
any user can search.
Doug

For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]