Re: bytecount as String and prefix length

Subject: Re: bytecount as String and prefix length
From: Marvin Humphrey
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 00:52:17 -0800
I wrote:

I've got one more idea... time to try overriding readString and writeString in BufferedIndexInput and BufferedIndexOutput, to take advantage of buffers that are already there.
Too complicated to be worthwhile, it turns out. I think it's time to
throw in the towel. Frustrating, because I was shooting for a win-
win solution (bytecounts and valid UTF-8 both make things a lot
easier on the Perl side). My valid-UTF-8 patches from a month ago
perform better than the current Java implementation, but bytecounts
make for slower indexing. Time to re-rethink the goal of index-
compatibility. How about, compatible for ascii-only indexes? :|
Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/

For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]