Re: IANA registration constraints

Subject: Re: IANA registration constraints
From: Dave Crocker
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 08:49:15 -0700

John C Klensin wrote:
Again, there may be exceptions, but I think denial cases should require fairly strong (and public) justification. In the general case, I believe the Internet is better off if even the most terrible of ideas is well-documents and registered --with appropriate warnings and pointers-- if there is any appreciable risk that it will be deployed and seen in the wild.

Mostly, I think we (the community) tend to confuse the coordination role of registration with the approval role of standardization.

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking

Ietf mailing list