ie.comp

Re: Toshiba Tecra 8100 Laptop - LCD Screen or Inverter Fault?

Subject: Re: Toshiba Tecra 8100 Laptop - LCD Screen or Inverter Fault?
From: "Andy"
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 19:50:47 -0000
Newsgroups: ie.comp, uk.comp.sys.laptops

"James" <jamesspam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:qb_1j.23410$j7.443860@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "Andy" <andy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote
>> Hi. My old Toshiba Tecra 8100 laptop has developed this fault with one
>> whitish thin green line running vertically from top to bottom of screen
>> on the right hand side near to the middle of the LCD Screen and I am
>> trying to fathom out if this fault is to do with the LCD Screen itself or
>> the Inverter module so I know what to replace.
>> I have already replace the laptop main board (due to a different fault)
>> but the laptop screen still has this vertical line there. So its not the
>> graphics chip at fault on the main board and also when I plug an external
>> monitor into the VGA port the line doesn't appear on the external
>> monitor.
>> Must be either Inverter or LCD Panel but which one????
>> A video of the fault I have uploaded here on youtube so you can see
>> whereabouts it is and how the line looks like:
>
> AIUI the inverter board provides the higher voltage required for the
> backlight.  The line you describe usually indicates a bad LCD.  Maybe it's
> time for a new laptop?

its a cracking little laptop apart from this bstard annoying little line
down the screen - if it is an LCD screen it needs and I can get it cheap
then I would rather do that than buy a new laptop. I just replaced the main
board on this laptop, managed to get one off ebay UK for 30.00 Euro
including postage - not bad at all.

Andy.