Re: Toshiba Tecra 8100 Laptop - LCD Screen or Inverter Fault?

Subject: Re: Toshiba Tecra 8100 Laptop - LCD Screen or Inverter Fault?
From: "Andy"
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 22:18:50 -0000
Newsgroups: ie.comp, uk.comp.sys.laptops

"John Williamson" <johnwilliamson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Andy wrote:
>> Hi. My old Toshiba Tecra 8100 laptop has developed this fault with one
>> whitish thin green line running vertically from top to bottom of screen
>> on the right hand side near to the middle of the LCD Screen and I am
>> trying to fathom out if this fault is to do with the LCD Screen itself or
>> the Inverter module so I know what to replace.
>> I have already replace the laptop main board (due to a different fault)
>> but the laptop screen still has this vertical line there. So its not the
>> graphics chip at fault on the main board and also when I plug an external
>> monitor into the VGA port the line doesn't appear on the external
>> monitor.
>> Must be either Inverter or LCD Panel but which one????
>> A video of the fault I have uploaded here on youtube so you can see
>> whereabouts it is and how the line looks like:
>>  or
>> Thanks for any helpful advice.
>> Andy.
> Definitely not the inverter. The screen looks even enough & not flickering
> on the video, so the inverter & cold cathode tubes as well as any dimmer
> control connected to them are almost certainly OK.
> It *could* be the LCD (Specifically the chip that deals with the LCD
> column drive ) or ( *Much* more likely IME on old laptops) the multiway
> cable or connector connecting the LCD to the main board. If the cable, you
> may be able to make the fault come & go by flexing the lid gently to & fro
> with the unit operating. If the fault has appeared since you changed the
> mainboard, it's very likely that either the connection isn't fully seated
> or the cable is damaged.
> If you can make a DOS boot floppy, you can run the Toshiba DOS diagnostics
> for your machine which you can get off the Toshiba Canada website (
> ) by navigating to support, then selecting your model
> number & following the links. Usually, it's a self extracting archive,
> that will install DOS and the utilities onto a blank floppy disc. This
> removes Windows & all its drivers from the picture, & lets you confirm
> it's a hardware fault.
> Hope this helps.
> --
> Tciao for Now!
> John.

Thanks for your advice. No the line was there before I changed the board. I
was mostly hoping that when I changed the board that it might of eradicated
that problem as well at the same time but it didn't. I don't think its
cables I have wiggled them whilst they are on. Shame it isn't the inverter
because that would surely be the cheapest of the 2 between LCD screen and

Thanks for the link I will make a floppy and see what it comes up with.