ie.comp

Re: Toshiba Tecra 8100 Laptop - LCD Screen or Inverter Fault?

Subject: Re: Toshiba Tecra 8100 Laptop - LCD Screen or Inverter Fault?
From: "Andy"
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 22:29:59 -0000
Newsgroups: ie.comp, uk.comp.sys.laptops

"James" <jamesspam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:qb_1j.23410$j7.443860@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "Andy" <andy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote
>> Hi. My old Toshiba Tecra 8100 laptop has developed this fault with one
>> whitish thin green line running vertically from top to bottom of screen
>> on the right hand side near to the middle of the LCD Screen and I am
>> trying to fathom out if this fault is to do with the LCD Screen itself or
>> the Inverter module so I know what to replace.
>> I have already replace the laptop main board (due to a different fault)
>> but the laptop screen still has this vertical line there. So its not the
>> graphics chip at fault on the main board and also when I plug an external
>> monitor into the VGA port the line doesn't appear on the external
>> monitor.
>> Must be either Inverter or LCD Panel but which one????
>> A video of the fault I have uploaded here on youtube so you can see
>> whereabouts it is and how the line looks like:
>
> AIUI the inverter board provides the higher voltage required for the
> backlight.  The line you describe usually indicates a bad LCD.  Maybe it's
> time for a new laptop?

These older laptops seem to keep their money pretty good. When I asked a
place about prices on these older p3 laptops the salesman said they go
really well because of the old type sockets on these like the COM Port and
Parallel Port which is a hit with businesses because a lot if not all latest
laptops have dispensed with these type of ports now. Although I have seen
USB to COM adaptors & USB to Parallel adaptors on the market these days.

Andy.