ie.comp

Re: Toshiba Tecra 8100 Laptop - LCD Screen or Inverter Fault?

Subject: Re: Toshiba Tecra 8100 Laptop - LCD Screen or Inverter Fault?
From: John Williamson
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 22:46:49 +0000
Newsgroups: ie.comp, uk.comp.sys.laptops

Andy wrote:

I think you are right I don't think its just the cable. Funny if its the LCD panel with a solid line like that because I would expect faults on an LCD panel to have just loads of pixels gone or totally blank screen all together rather than a solid vertical line like that.

As I understand it, the signal goes from the display card through a multiplexed parallel bus cable ( 16 bit wide from the look of the one on a Portege of the same age) to the LCD unit, where the individual pixels are addessed by row & column by the internal display drive circuitry, more or less as a mapped memory space. A stuck drive transistor or three on the column addressing would give exactly these symptoms, as would a problem with the connection internal to the display unit between the actual LCD & it's support circuitry.

Just a thought. It doesn't help with the cost of a new panel, I know....

--
Tciao for Now!

John.