ie.comp

Re: Toshiba Tecra 8100 Laptop - LCD Screen or Inverter Fault?

Subject: Re: Toshiba Tecra 8100 Laptop - LCD Screen or Inverter Fault?
From: John Williamson
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 14:29:20 +0000
Newsgroups: ie.comp, uk.comp.sys.laptops

Andy wrote:
right, had the laptop screen in bits and pressed (gingerly without wishing to it!) the LCD screen right at the top of where the line was and it magically disappeared. As I took my finger away the line came back - strange!

I have managed as a temporary job to place a small piece of thin plastic between the bezel and the LCD screen to apply a tiny bit of pressure and the line has now gone, for how long it will last like that I don't know. But I am still going to look out for a cheap screen just in case it goes all together.

The connection from the drive PCB to the actual glass part is probably by way of a flexible strip that looks like rubber, but has alternating conductive & insulating sections. Over time, this can become fatigued & fail to keep its shape. I had a very similar problem on an old Nokia 9000 communicator, which I solved by dismantling it far enough to access the strip, kneading the strip gently & reassembling the unit. They're a swine to get back together without the right jig, though.

*But* it didn't work anyway & was beyond economic repair, so I had nothing to lose....

The phone still works perfectly a couple of years later :-)

Thank you to everyone for your advice.

You're welcome.

I came across this program that claims to get rid of stuck pixels (not dead pixels) on a LCD screen and reduce screen burn-in on my investigations as well if anyone's interested and its free to download:
http://www.jscreenfix.com/

I've not tried this, but I've heard reports that on some occasions it and other similar programs can make things worse. You pays your money & takes your chances...

--
Tciao for Now!

John.