Just wanted to check with everyone, I'm adding the following points to
the space Jim created at the portals project page, based on the thread
so far. If you have something to add/remove, let me know.
* portals based on one language, such as fr.opensolaris, could use
subdivisions for regional events (for example, France, Canada, Belgium)
* subdivisions for the various languages spoken within a single
country (India, China, ..)
* allow translation of the currently non-translatable sections (i.e.
news, files, announcements, ..) and the upper menu (discussions,
communities, ..) or at least have them pointing to the current portal
* increase usability of Portal sites, specifically:
- linking between the English pages on www.opensolaris.org and
the corresponding translated pages in xx.opensolaris.org
- tag pages and let the users know the list of languages
that particular content is available in
- likewise, if a local site can indicate to the users that a
continued article that's not yet translated is available on the
As stated on the first emails about specing v2, these are all bullet
points from which a more detailed document can be compiled. Just a
matter of having enough content.
i18n-discuss mailing list