help-cfengine@gnu.org

Re: Load balancing with cfengine

Subject: Re: Load balancing with cfengine
From: Alexander Jolk
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:23:52 +0200
Newsgroups: gnu.cfengine.help
Jason Edgecombe wrote:
I'm currently using the splaytime option to spread out the load on my server, but I'm wondering how many clients a cfengine server can accomodate. When would we need to set up multiple servers and how should we go about that?

I have started to use three servers on both my sites when I found that 300 clients just was a bit too much. (My cfengine servers do other things as well, not just cfengine.) I'm using quite a simple random balancing:

strategies:
   { strategy_cfserver
   sc_master: "2"
   sc_serv1:  "2"
   sc_serv2:  "2"
   }

control:
   sc_master|!from_cfexecd::
      fileserver = ( masterserver.buf.fr )
      masterfiles = ( /vol/cfengine/masters )
   sc_serv1.from_cfexecd::
      fileserver = ( slaveserver_1.buf.fr )
      masterfiles = ( /DATA/cfengine-2/masters )
   sc_serv2.from_cfexecd::
      fileserver = ( slaveserver_2.buf.fr )
      masterfiles = ( /srv/cfengine/masters )

As you can see, calling cfagent by hand always goes on the master server; different servers can export their configuration from different directories.

The slave servers themselves copy the configuration from the master server, using a simple recursive copy with purge=true, once an hour. That way, up to two hours can pass after a config file push until all machines have caught up.

I'm sure there are other ways to to load balancing.

Alex

--
Alexander Jolk  * BUF Compagnie * alexj@xxxxxxx
Tel +33-1 42 68 18 28  *  Fax +33-1 42 68 18 29