haskell-cafe@haskell.org

Re: [Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell-friendly Linux Distribution

Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell-friendly Linux Distribution
From: Erik de Castro Lopo
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 14:33:11 +1100
Ivan Miljenovic wrote:

> > [..] now trying to profile something, oh wait, some problem again.
>
> Agreed, if Debian didn't include the profiling libraries with GHC
> (though is this due to how Debian does packages?).

The haskell packages for Debian (I am one) have decided to stick to
a pattern where if an upstream Haskell library is called 'foo' then:

  - The source code package will be called haskell-foo.
  - The library will be called libghc6-foo-dev.
  - The profiling version will be called libghc6-foo-prof
  - The documentation will be called libghc6-foo-doc.

There might still be a small number of packages doing a variation
on the above (especially for the source and doc packages).

> > To me, until there is one obvious package to install to get the same set of
> > files as a normal ghc install I will continue to discourage people from
> > getting ghc from apt :)
>
> Unless it still doesn't provide profiling libraries, the extralibs
> problem is no more.  There is, however, the Haskell Platform (which
> Debian seems to have almost had complete support for until the new one
> came out; now they've got to start again... >_> ).

Actually not quite correct.

Debian does not strictly follow the Haskell Platform, mainly because
some libraries in Debian were already at a later version when the first
platform was released.

The current situation can be seen here:

    http://wiki.debian.org/Haskell/Platform

However, installing the Debian haskell-platform package should get close
enough to the official Haskell Platform for most users not to notice.

Erik