haskell-cafe@haskell.org

Re: [Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell-friendly Linux Distribution

Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell-friendly Linux Distribution
From: Ivan Miljenovic
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 14:37:47 +1100
On 30 March 2010 14:33, Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+hs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The haskell packages for Debian (I am one)

You are a Haskell _package_? :p

> Â- The source code package will be called haskell-foo.

Is this an actual installable package (so you're installing the actual
source code?) ?

> Debian does not strictly follow the Haskell Platform, mainly because
> some libraries in Debian were already at a later version when the first
> platform was released.

Hence the "almost complete": you can't say to have Platform support
unless you have all of those exact packages.

(Whilst Gentoo has meta-ebuilds for the platform, they're not exactly
encouraged: we're going to be using them more as a basis of future
stabilisation efforts rather than as something users should install.
Note also that at least since I've been using it, Gentoo hasn't used
extralibs and has installed made those libraries available
separately.)

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic@xxxxxxxxx