Re: [Haskell-cafe] Linguistic hair-splitting

Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Linguistic hair-splitting
From: Alexander Solla
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 19:41:28 -0800
On Jan 27, 2010, at 4:57 PM, Conor McBride wrote:

Yes, the separation is not clear in Haskell. (I consider this unfortunate.) I was thinking of Paul Levy's call-by-push-value calculus, where the distinction is clear, but perhaps not as fluid as one might like.
What, exactly, is the supposed difference between a value and a
computation? Please remember that computations can and very often do
"return" computations as results. Please remember that in order for a
function to be computed for a value, binding and computation must
occur. And that for every value computed, a computation must occur,
even if it is "just" under identity the identity function.
Let's not forget that there's a monad for every one-argument (id est,
monadic) function, and vice-versa.