Re: [Haskell-cafe] I/O performance drop in ghc 6.12.1

Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] I/O performance drop in ghc 6.12.1
From: "Bryan O'Sullivan"
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 14:38:21 -0800
On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Peter Simons <[email protected]> wrote:

I just updated to GHC 6.12.1, and I noticed a significant drop in I/O
performance that I can't explain.

This is probably brought about by the new Unicode I/O support in 6.12. Your file isn't open in binary mode, so it's probably getting translated from something like UTF-8 before it reaches you. Might want to compare the two.

I'm a little surprised by the magnitude of the difference; I might have expected it to be 33%, not 400%.