Re: [Haskell-cafe] Language simplicity

Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Language simplicity
From: Tom Tobin
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 08:16:40 -0600
On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:45 AM, Colin Paul Adams
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Â ÂTom> readability. ÂThe ASCII characters are universal and easily
> Â ÂTom> recognized
>
> No they are not.
> My wife is Chinese. When she was learning pinyin as a child, she asked
> her father for help with some homework. He replied that he didn't
> understand them.

I should have said "The ASCII characters are universal and easily
recognized *for programmers*."  Of course someone who hasn't come in
contact with the Latin alphabet, let alone programming, isn't going to
recognize ASCII â but I think we'd have an amazingly hard time finding
a programmer who wasn't familiar with it, regardless of their native
language.