Re: [Haskell-cafe] FFI, C/C++ and undefined references

Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] FFI, C/C++ and undefined references
From: Malcolm Wallace
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 11:14:29 +0000
I still get the "undefined reference" errors.
It is likely there is some combination of other mistakes as well
then. Other responses have made suggestions of fixes you require in
the C++ code for instance. You will need those as well.
 I did eventually get ghc to compile
Main.hs by putting the -c and -cpp flags after "--make Main.hs".

Then it produces a Main.o file which (even with +x permissions on my Linux box) will not run. I just get the message "cannot run binary file", or some
such message.
The file Main.o is just an object file, not a complete executable. It
still needs to be linked against some other (Haskell or C/C++) object
files and libraries, and the Haskell runtime system, to form an
executable that can be run. ghc is capable of doing all the linking,
e.g.
    ghc -o myProg Main.o slirm.o -package base -package foo

However, if you are unsure of which Haskell packages are needed, it is wise to let ghc work out the dependencies for you, e.g. with
    ghc --make Main.hs slirm.o

It cannot work out the C/C++ dependencies though, so every time you get "undefined reference" linking errors, you must discover which C code provides those symbols, and add its object file to the commandline by hand.
Regards,
    Malcolm