[Haskell-cafe] Cannot rebuild GHC 6.12.1 due to Cabal type conflict

Subject: [Haskell-cafe] Cannot rebuild GHC 6.12.1 due to Cabal type conflict
From: James Britt
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 00:44:21 -0700
Hey all.

I recently  wanted to rebuild GHC 6.12.1 from source (from a downloaded
tarball).

After the first install from that source I  went and updated Cabal (from
a tarball grabbed from Hackage).

When I now try to do a rebuild of GHC, I get this error

compiler/main/Packages.lhs:233:63:
    Couldn't match expected type `InstalledPackageInfo_ String'
           against inferred type
`Cabal-1.8.0.2:Distribution.InstalledPackageInfo.InstalledPackageInfo_
                                    m'
      Expected type: [InstalledPackageInfo_ String]
      Inferred type:
[Cabal-1.8.0.2:Distribution.InstalledPackageInfo.InstalledPackageInfo_
                        m]
    In the second argument of `map', namely `conf'
    In the first argument of `return', namely
        `(map installedPackageInfoToPackageConfig conf)'
make[1]: *** [compiler/stage1/build/Packages.o] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

(also here: http://hpaste.org/fastcgi/hpaste.fcgi/view?id=16380#a16380)

I'm running the build like this:

make distclean
sh boot
./configure --enable-shared
make -j 2

but (I'm guessing) it's looking at the already-installed Cabal libs and
not liking what it's getting.

Any ideas on how to get past this?

Thanks,

James Britt