Re: [Haskell-cafe] Why?

Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Why?
From: Donn Cave
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 17:11:25 -0800 PST
Quoth Luke Palmer <[email protected]>,
> This is not the sort of resistance I expected :-).  Naturally my
> unrealistic argument applies to FFI as well; sin, if imported from C,
> would have to return in an appropriate structure.  Not necessarily IO
> (I don't like the idea of a universal sin-bin -- I'd rather introduce
> a family of structures with well-defined meanings), but the same idea.
> Support for commutative monads (once we understand them) may relieve
> some of the pain of this approach.

Yes!  I mean, I have no idea, but it seems like it's worth a look at
anything that promises to replace some of the unsafePerformIO
with more functionally transparent ways to do the same thing.

I love talking about the questionable purity of sin!  but as it happens,
since I don't do that much geometry I am without sin anyway.

        Donn