[Haskell-cafe] Re: Fwd: Will GHC finally support epoll in 2009?

Subject: [Haskell-cafe] Re: Fwd: Will GHC finally support epoll in 2009?
From: Simon Marlow
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 10:43:09 +0000
On 10/12/2009 17:48, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 5:01 AM, Johann HÃchtl <[email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

     > Yes. I'm working on a patch at the moment.

    Is there something planed to happen in 2010?

Retooling the I/O manager isn't a huge job, but it requires the
equivalent of several weeks of work. I tossed out my initial attempt at
a patch because I didn't have time to work on it, so I'm back to square
one. Johan Tibell and I have had occasional discussions about picking up
the thread again, but we've had a busy year and it's moderately
demanding work, so nothing has actually happened.

If I develop the time and energy to take a serious at it, I will
post here to let people know. This would be an effort where having
multiple people work on different implementations concurrently would be
a shame.
Bryan, if you have time could you give a brief outline of the main
sticking points? My gut feeling is that it shouldn't be "several weeks
of work", but admittedly I've never worked with epoll(). Perhaps we
need to take a step back and think about the architecture at a higher level?
Cheers,
        Simon