Re: [Haskell-cafe] Language simplicity

Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Language simplicity
From: "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH"
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 14:28:26 -0500
On Jan 13, 2010, at 14:25 , Andrew Coppin wrote:
Colin Paul Adams wrote:
   Andrew> It's weird that us Haskell people complain about there
   Andrew> being only 26 letters in the alphabet

Which alphabet?
You have plenty of choice in Unicode.
Er... I was under the impression that Haskell source code uses the
ASCII character set, not Unicode.
The Report would beg to differ with you; see section 2.1. "Haskell
uses the Unicode [11] character set. However, source programs are
currently biased toward the ASCII character set used in earlier
versions of Haskell ." ("Currently" at the time being 1998. Unicode
is more prevalent these days.)
(And even if that's not the case, I've yet to find a way to type in the Unicode characters which are hypothetically possible.)

That's a problem with your editor/development environment.

--
brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] [email protected]
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] [email protected]