haskell-cafe@haskell.org

Re: [Haskell-cafe] Language simplicity

Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Language simplicity
From: Miguel Mitrofanov
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 22:44:32 +0300

On 13 Jan 2010, at 22:25, Andrew Coppin wrote:

Colin Paul Adams wrote:
   Andrew> It's weird that us Haskell people complain about there
   Andrew> being only 26 letters in the alphabet

Which alphabet?
You have plenty of choice in Unicode.

Er... I was under the impression that Haskell source code uses the ASCII character set, not Unicode.

(And even if that's not the case, I've yet to find a way to type in the Unicode characters which are hypothetically possible.)

module Main where
import Prelude hiding (putStrLn)
import System.IO.UTF8
main = let à = "Andrew Coppin ÑÐÐÐÐ ÐÐÐÐÐÐÑÑ ÐÐÐÑÐÐ"
           Ã = ÑÑÐ_ÑÐ_ÑÐÐ where ÑÑÐ_ÑÐ_ÑÐÐ = undefined
       in putStrLn Ã