Re: [Haskell-cafe] Having a look at XMonad window manager

Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Having a look at XMonad window manager
From: michael rice
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 13:07:00 -0800 PST
Well, for starters the Fedora entry for installing XMonad is blank/empty:
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Installing_xmonad#Fedora

Some things I've done:

I set up a .xmonad directory in my home directory with this xmonad.hs

[[email protected] ~]$ cat ~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs
    --
    -- An example, simple ~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs file.
    -- It overrides a few basic settings, reusing all the other defaults.

    import XMonad

    main = xmonad $ defaultConfig
        { borderWidth        = 2
        , terminal           = "urxvt"
        , normalBorderColor  = "#cccccc"
        , focusedBorderColor = "#cd8b00" }

[[email protected] ~]$

I set up a .xsession directory in my home directory with this in it

[[email protected] ~]$ cat .xsession
export WINDOW_MANAGER="/usr/bin/xmonad"
exec gnome-session

[[email protected] ~]$

Because supposedly X doesn't even check .xsession file without having xorg-x11-xinit-session installed, I also downloaded that.

I set up a XMonad.desktop file in /usr/share/applications directory

[[email protected] ~]$ cat /usr/share/applications/Xmonad.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Xmonad
# change this path according to your xmonad binary
Exec=/usr/bin/xmonad
NoDisplay=true
X-GNOME-WMName=Xmonad
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Bugzilla=XMonad
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Product=xmonad
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Component=general
X-GNOME-Autostart-Phase=WindowManager
X-GNOME-Provides=windowmanager
X-GNOME-Autostart-Notify=true
[[email protected] ~]$

I added /usr/bin/xmonad to startup applications.

All these things were suggested.

Michael