Re: [Haskell-cafe] Are functional dependencies around to stay?

Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Are functional dependencies around to stay?
From: Eduard Sergeev
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 07:18:17 -0800 PST
GÃnther Schmidt wrote:
> I'm wondering if there is any chance that functional dependencies will
> not be around in the future.

As was previously noted they are supposed to be replaced by type families,
but for me the crucial difference between these two now is that currently
type families do not allow overlapping instances "at all" while fundeps can
be used with overlapping instances in GHC with -XOverlappingInstances flag..
Not sure how this difference is going to be changed in the future, but I am
currently using fundeps because of it (I'd prefer type families otherwise).