Re: [Haskell-cafe] GHC 6.12 on OS X 10.5

Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] GHC 6.12 on OS X 10.5
From: Aaron Tomb
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 15:45:02 -0800
On Dec 21, 2009, at 2:44 PM, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

On Dec 21, 2009, at 17:39 , Aaron Tomb wrote:
The problem seems to be that some versions of iconv define iconv_open and some related functions as macros (that then call libiconv_open, etc.), and some versions of iconv have exported functions for everything. In particular, the iconv bundled with OS X (1.11) defines iconv_open, but the iconv installed with MacPorts (1.13) does not. The binary package for GHC 6.12.1 seems to have been compiled on a system without MacPorts, and therefore references iconv_open (etc.) from the Apple-distributed version of the library.
Perhaps the best fix for this is to submit an updated GHC port to
MacPorts.
This is certainly a possibility. I believe that a GHC built against
MacPorts would work properly on a system with MacPorts installed.
However, the downside of that approach is that any binary compiled
with such a GHC could _only_ be run on a system with MacPorts installed.
I'd love to have a GHC that would play nicely with MacPorts, but not
depend on it unless necessary (where "necessary" means "when I use a
package that links to a C library only available via MacPorts")
Aaron