[Haskell-cafe] Why does HXT use Arrows?

Subject: [Haskell-cafe] Why does HXT use Arrows?
From: Gregory Crosswhite
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 14:24:38 -0500
Something I have been wondering for a while is:  Why is HXT built on arrows,
rather than monads?  I understand that arrows are a generalization of monads,
but they also add extra complexity that is often unnecessary.  Furthermore, as
I understand it they only give you additional power when your arrow cannot
implement ArrowApply, since otherwise your arrow is equivalent to a monad
anyway, and it looks like the result of parsing an XML document gets you an
arrow which implements ArrowApply.

Is there some circumstance I am missing where the fact that HXT uses arrows
rather than monads lets one do something that one couldn't have done with
monads?

Cheers,
Greg