[Haskell-cafe] Finally tagless and abstract relational Algebra

Subject: [Haskell-cafe] Finally tagless and abstract relational Algebra
From: Günther Schmidt
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 16:02:15 +0100
Hi,

I'm still trying to build an *abstract* Relation Algebra using the finally tagless style.
My guess is that finally tagless style allows one to create a syntax
without any initial dependency to an implementation. Ie. once one has
created the syntax in this style one can then proceed to construct terms.
So this is my goal, create a syntax for relational algebra, express an
abstract relational algorithm in this syntax and worry about
implementation / compilation / evaluation *later*. But at least being
able to express a correctly typed term.
I presume I will need to employ HList at some point, but I'm not
entirely certain where. Will I need it at the very beginning, as
constrains in the syntax so that only correct abstract terms can be
built, or will I need it in on of the interpreters / compilers later?
Günther