Re: [Haskell-cafe] Fwd: Will GHC finally support epoll in 2009?

Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Fwd: Will GHC finally support epoll in 2009?
From: Johann Höchtl
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 17:24:27 +0100
Gregory Collins wrote:
"Bryan O'Sullivan" <[email protected]> writes:

If I develop the time and energy to take a serious at it, I will
post here to let people know. This would be an effort where having
multiple people work on different implementations concurrently would
be a shame.
I'm interested in this topic as well and have recently starting
timeout support into Johan's event library:

    http://github.com/tibbe/event
    http://github.com/gregorycollins/event

I think the overall goal should be to get rid of http://github.com/gregorycollins/event/blob/master/src/System/Event/EPoll.hsc, as it's in the core. Any non-blocking call to select should be save to replace by epoll, as the semantics are the same. As epoll is considerably more fine grained than non-blocking select, the architecture must support a run loop which effectively retrieves events faster than non-blocking select would do. Otherwise the effort would be futile.
Maybe we should form a working group?