[Haskell-cafe] A question on DSL's

Subject: [Haskell-cafe] A question on DSL's
From: CK Kashyap
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 09:14:26 -0800 PST
Hi,
I am not sure if I'm using DSL in the right context here but I am referring to
those solutions that allow us to write code in Haskell and generate a target
code source code of another language or even object code for that matter. I am
aware of two ways of achieving this -
1. Implement functions that emit the target code - that is, when the Haskell
code is compiled and run, the target code is emitted
2. Modify the Haskell compiler's back end to emit the code - that is when the
Haskell code is compiled the target code is emitted

I am not sure if there are more ways (hybrid perhaps) ...

My question is,  when would I chose one approach over the other?

Regards,
Kashyap