Re: [Haskell-cafe] 64-bit Bloom filters?

Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] 64-bit Bloom filters?
From: "Bryan O'Sullivan"
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 10:02:11 -0800
On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 7:19 AM, Ketil Malde <[email protected]> wrote:
I've previously used Bloom filters on 32-bit Linux with some success.
However, after upgrading to 64 bit, my Bloom filter applications crash
or misbehave in random ways.

I'll look into it. Do you have a simple repro?

So: is anybody successfully using Bloom filters on 64 bit computers?

I developed all that code on a 64-bit box, but I haven't had occasion to use it recently.Â

Although I'm not clear on why it would cause crashes (SEGV, infinite
looping, etc), my prime suspect is the hashing function used. ÂThis is
from C and returns a uint32, but it is imported to return a CInt, which
I suspect is 64 bits.

A CInt is 32 bits on the only 64-bit architecture that anyone really uses (x86_64) :-)