Re: [Haskell-cafe] Are functional dependencies around to stay?

Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Are functional dependencies around to stay?
From: Andrey Sisoyev
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 08:52:31 -0800 PST
I believe, whenever this <http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/2715>
ticket is closed (with completition), we get a more general substitution to
Functional Dependencies. I hope it happens really soon, because I need it
already. =)
So it's worth to prepare yourself better to Type Families.

As for deriving of fundeps, outside of Haskell I saw them already used in
methods used in a base of reasoning about RDB (relational data bases)
structures. For more on that search web by keywords "normalization rules
functional dependencies", that's an interesting subject if you possess it in
practice.

Regards,
Andrey