Re: [Haskell-cafe] Re: Data.Ring -- Pre-announce

Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Re: Data.Ring -- Pre-announce
From: Henning Thielemann
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 19:40:01 +0100
wren ng thornton schrieb:
Tom Tobin wrote:
----- Heinrich Apfelmus <[email protected]> wrote:
Since the name  Ring  is already taken by an ubiquitous mathematical
structure, and thus already in hackage for example as  Algebra.Ring  in
the  numeric-prelude , I suggest to call the data structure  Necklace
instead.
Is Necklace a known name for this data structure?  If not Ring, I was
thinking Circular might be an appropriate name.
I'm not sure if there's a canonical name, except perhaps "circular
queue". Necklace is cute, though Circular or CircleQueue might be
better. I'd also advise strongly against using Ring in order to avoid
confusing nomenclature. (Loop should be avoided for similar reasons.)
When reading "Ring" first time in the e-mail subject, I also thought it would be about the algebraic structure with that name.
CircularList seems fine to me. Necklace is nice but might be missed when
someone searches for that data structure on Hackage.